About Dec Nepal
DEC Nepal has crafted its strategic directions for developing common understanding among all concerned stakeholders in the path it wants to lead and generate high level of commitment for reaching the envisioned destination with a common development aspiration.
DEC-Nepal is a value-based organization and is inspired by the realization that the most crucial elements in the approaches to development are:
- Dedication for value driven development
- Empowerment of deprived and marginalized community
- Commitment for participatory development process
The other fundamental values guiding the functioning of DEC-Nepal can be summed up as follows:
- Poor people are marginalized in many aspects not because of lack of competency, it is mainly due to lack of opportunities.
- The larger socio-economic transformation can be achieved only through a process that is managed by the people themselves.
- Collective action of civil society is fundamental for promotion of democratic good governance and sustainable livelihood.
- Just Society with Equitable Distribution of Power and Resources
DEC-Nepal nurtures a vision of establishing a Just Society with Equitable Distribution of Power and Resources. This necessarily requires Civil Society to enhance their competency and commitment to focus their interventions for transforming lives of disadvantaged sections of society.
Consistent with its vision, DEC-Nepal has adopted the following as its mission:
- Create critical mass for strengthening democratic governance and social accountability
- Improve living standard and dignified lives of poor and marginalized communities
Based on the analysis of the state of Nepali society and polity, DEC-Nepal has adopted the following goals as the means to the attainment of its stated mission.
- To adopt right based development approach for democratic governance, social accountability and sustainable livelihood
- Promote sustainable entrepreneurship focused on aspirations of poor and marginalized communities
- Knowledge building on democratic good governance, social accountability and sustainable livelihood
In order to achieve the goal, the organization has outlined following objectives:
- Strengthen critical mass for promoting democratic governance, social accountability and sustainable livelihood
- Create favorable policy environment and responsiveness of duty bearers for empowering poor and marginalized communities for increasing self esteem of poor and marginalized communities
- Support pro poor micro finance institutions and mechanisms
- Institutionalize knowledge sharing platforms for sustaining participatory development
Guided by the large body of knowledge and experience built up over the last one decade DEC-Nepal has adopted following strategies to translate its vision, mission, goal and objective statements into reality:
- By enhancing capacity of Civil Society Actors (CSAs) and marginalized communities on democratic good governance, social accountability and sustainable livelihood
- By advocating advocating for pro poor policies and legal provisions through networks and forums of development partners
- By influencing duty bearers and service providers for increased accountability to address concerns of marginalized communities adopting various social accountability tools
- By strengthening entrepreneurship skill of marginalized groups for enabling them to access economic opportunities
- By providing diverse knowledge sharing forums based on target audiences for promoting participatory development process
Common understanding on key terminologies
Elaboration of Some Terminologies in the Context of Strategic Vision of DEC-Nepal:
- Knowledge Building emphases on critical and systematic study of issues, process and institutions that promotes or hinders people’s participation in participatory development process. Knowledge building is the first part to generate actual and factual information and data. On the other side, Knowledge Management can be considered, as the second part that ensures enhancement of people’s capacity on synergistic combination of data and information processing required for promotion of participatory development and sustainable livelihood at different levels.
- A Livelihood comprises capabilities, assets and activities required for a dignified living. A livelihood is sustainable when it can cope with and recover from undesirable situation and enhance its capabilities and assets both now and in the future also by conserving natural resources.
- Democratic -Governance denotes the people managed and owned mechanism, processes and institutions through which people and their groups articulate their interest, exercise their legal right and obligation, meet their livelihood
News & Events
In the leadership of Local Resource Persons (LRPs) trained through TOT training the 11 WOCLAP (Women Chepang Leadership Action Platforms) groups wereRead More
“Helping young Chepang women leaders to promote gender responsive governance” project funded by UNDEF kick starts with five days Training of TrainersRead More
From June 15th to 27th June, 2019, DEC Nepal conducted a field survey at 8 of the 11 target project wards of two selected municipalities (Kalika andRead More
Coordination meeting was conducted by the project team with elected members, local stakeholders and local implementing partners for project objectiveRead More
DEC Nepal in coordination with NGO Federation, Nepal Journalist Federation and SAP Nepal organized “Interaction on Status of Civil Society and theirRead More